1. No more Coca-Cola. I modified this goal to allow myself one coke at Fellini’s after Hot Jam each week. This is due to the fact that I generally crave sugar so strongly that the thought of ignoring it makes me want to cry incessantly. Avoiding coke has only been challenging this last week, when I’ve really been craving it. Otherwise, this goal has been a success.
2. Pay only by cash, and track my spending. This has gone moderately well. I am terrible at keeping track of expenses, though. The best method I’ve found thus far is to immediately enter the expense into a note on my phone, and then enter all expenses that night. The only challenge is getting into the habit of entering these expenses in the first place.
As far as I can tell, I have recorded all my expenses this month, with only a few estimates when I forgot to record an exact amount. More on this in another post.
3. No buying Clothes. This was thrown off by MY NEW JOB, as I was leaving BR and wanted to take advantage of my discount for some purchases for my new job. Otherwise, this has been a very hard challenge, but I am on track!
4. 20 mins of reading per day, at least 5 days per week. This challenge is a success! I have read at lest 20 mins per day 24 out of 31 days this month, resulting in an average of 5-6 days per week.
5. Manbattical. I cannot say that this challenge was a success, for various reasons — partly that I did not set my own boundaries clearly enough, and partly because I cannot keep from flirting with boys. However, I plan to redouble my efforts. Additionally, I stand by the idea that the manbattical is more to solidify 1) what I want in a relationship and 2) my willpower to stick by that. In that sense, I am developing those skills, and thus working towards success by the end of the challenge.
I would say that January has set the year off to a good start. I have challenged myself, and I have both succeeded and struggled. I look forward to February. I just need to make sure my focus and motivation stay strong, instead of tapering off as they are threatening to do even as I plan my next post…