If you read this blog with any regularity, I don’t see how you’ve missed this memo, but just in case: I am applying to graduate school for a Masters in Ecology, and it has sort of taken over my life.
If you’ve ever applied to grad school, you know it’s a lot of work. The good news? Applications will be turned in December 1st, so I really only have a month left. The bad news? I only have a month left. Like, a single month to finish everything.
Things I have accomplished:
- I have secured two recommendation letters (out of three).
- I have started 2/3 applications, and a fourth I will have to complete after Lindy Focus.
- I am making good progress on my Statement of Purpose, which is one of the most challenging things I’ve had to work on yet.
Things I still need to do:
- I am retaking the GRE, which sucks. However, it is the weakest part of my application, and if I have the chance to do something about that, then I should.
- I have to talk to a third person about writing a recommendation letter. This person is hard to sit down and talk with, though. Hopefully I can find him tomorrow.
- Finish applications. Duh.
Other things I have accomplished in the last month (just so you know):
- I can do 21 push ups in a row, thanks to the hundred-pushup challenge. I am stuck on Week 4, Day 2. It’s a really difficult set for me, but I think I can make some progress this week.
- I have finished re-typing an entire manuscript for a dear friend of mine. It was incredibly long, but also very worthwhile.
Things I will be (or need to be) accomplishing this month:
- I will be teaching the Tranky Doo in Atlanta! I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS. If you’re from Atlanta, you need to come learn this!!!
- I need some part-time holiday work. Any suggestions? I guess I could go try Banana Republic (insert ominous music here).
- I will not be spending any money. The end. Groceries and Gas are my only luxuries.
Finally: updates for the month of November will be sporadic at best. I mean, this past week, I barely posted anything, so I’m not sure anyone will notice. However, when I am able to post or when I can finally resume writing regularly, I know what my plan of attack is, and I have some good blog posts planned.
I want to hold myself to posting about a few of these topics, so here are some of the ones I’ve been itching to write about:
- Revelations on what makes me happy in dancing, and how I can encourage that happiness.
- Consequently, some thoughts on what also makes me unhappy in dancing, and ideas on how to discourage that negative train of thoughts.
- Thoughts on when and how to ask someone to dance (also known as “Why a flow chart isn’t a very efficient way to decide whether or not to ask another person to dance.”)
- Some thoughts on how to take compliments (both in the dance world and in real life), and how our natural inclination to “explain away” a compliment can be detrimental to both our friends and ourselves.
- Our ingrained consumerism, and why it doesn’t have to be this way. Also a note on how much shit I want to give away, but I don’t really know where to start.